Monday, January 23, 2012

AUTHENTIQUE TUTORIAL: Free Bird Coasters

Hello Authentique fans! Heather here with a simple tutorial for making some pretty cute coasters using Authentique Free Bird

To start, you are going to need your tiles (I chose 4" untreated stone tiles just from my local hardware store), ModPodge or other crafting medium, spray Shellac, a spongey applicator or brush, felt, contact or rubber cement and your papers (I chose to use the Blush and Delight Nest FBN001). You'll also need some basic papercrafting tools.

To start, I cut my papers down to 3 3/4". I know that my tiles were 4", but they sloped down a bit on the edges, and this just made the most sense, as the paper wouldn't peel off the edges if it was slightly smaller.

Also, because of the tiles that I chose, and the fact that I didn't want the edges to peel or pull up, used my corner rounder on all of the squares.

A nice covering of ModPodge on the tiles themselves (untreated stone sucks some of the glue up...) so you may find that you need more than you think.

And placing all of the lovely papers on top of the stone tiles. Another generous helping of ModPodge finishes them all off for the time being. 

If you want to embellish them at all, after the first coat is dry, use some paper elements to add some interest, and ModPodge those to the coaster. 

While the glue is drying, I just used scissors to cut out my felt pieces. They are slightly smaller than the 4", and I rounded the corners slightly (FYI: corner edgers don't help with felt). Again this is to prevent the edges from pulling up. I used contact cement for this, but you could probably use most glues or epoxies that aren't water based.

Here is the bottom of the finished tile!! Now it won't scratch the furniture. If you wanted to not deal with felt, you could also use those felt squares or circles that they have at hardware stores instead. 

When the layers of ModPodge had dried, I used the spray Shellac on them to protect the paper. I probably will put a few layers of this on. I don't suggest using these right away... Give them a week or two to properly dry. If you choose to only ModPodge them, I suggest waiting a few weeks, just to make sure that you don't ruin all of your hard work. 

And the finalized tiles with all of the lovely Blush Free Bird. I purposefully chose to have two patterns and two solids, but did use all four of the papers (FBS101, FBS 102, FBS103, FBS104). I really love how lovely these all ended up, and cannot wait to give these away as a cute Valentine's gift. 

In fact, I even wrapped them up with some parchment paper and twine, so that one of the butterflies peeked through. And created a cute little tag out of the scraps with another butterfly to reflect the ones in the package.

Of course I hate crafting alone, so my wonderful and most dear friend Venetia created her own tiles using the same Nest as I did, although choosing to use the Delight Series instead (FBS110, FBS111). Hers ended up being just as lovely, though very different.

I hope this inspires you to find new ways to use Free Bird and your other favorite Authentique lines!! 

Supplies Used: 
Free Bird Nest Collections:  Blush FBS101, FBS 102, FBS103, FBS104 & Delight 110, 111
Additional Supplies Coasters: stone tiles, ModPodge, spray Shellac, contact cement, felt, butterfly punch 
Additional Supplies Tag: butterfly punch, AC glitter and rose ribbon, brad, Office Depot paperclip, Twinery Twine, parchment paper
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment